Registration Instructions & Videos
Registering for Classes with MyAccess
Before You Register
How to Waitlist for a Course
Important Waitlist Information
The waitlist will run each weekday after 3 PM during registration (excluding holidays). Winners will receive an email from the University Registrar with instructions to claim their seat through MyAccess within 23 hours. Students are responsible to get the necessary restriction approval prior to the expiration of the waitlist notification. After 23 hours, non-responsive students will lose their seats and will forfeit that seats to the next student on the waitlist. Therefore, waitlisted students must check their email at least once per day even throughout the summer.
Note: Faculty reserve the right to drop students from the waitlist if they do not attend class during the add-drop period at the beginning of the term.
Claiming a Waitlist Seat
If you have won a seat off a Waitlist, complete the following to claim your seat.
NOTE: You are not enrolled in the class until you complete these steps.
1. If you are a Winner, click on the Students Tab.
2. Click on the Register for Classes link. Then select the term and click Continue. You will then see your current schedule Summary displayed. To the right of the status of the waitlisted course, select Web Register from the Action drop-down menu.
3. Click Submit.
4. Review your revised current schedule Summary to verify the changes you made are reflected in the Status column.
Please be sure to drop any section you no longer want from the waitlist so that others will be considered in the waitlist process. If you have questions regarding the waitlist, please contact your Registrar’s Office.
Note: If you were on the waitlist (WL) and you did not claim your seat, you may need to wait 24 hours before putting yourself back on the waitlist. In order to expedite this process, log into MyAccess, drop yourself from the WL (which expired), and place yourself on the WL again for that class. Please contact email@example.com if you have questions.
Requesting a Class Pass/Fail
Instructions for Requesting a Class Pass/Fail
- Open your web browser and log into MyAccess. The preferred browser is Chrome
- After successfully logging in, click the Student tab.
- Under Registration, click Pass/Fail Course Request.
You have now reached the Pass/Fail request screen which will allow you to request that the grade mode for a section be changed to pass/fail. Information concerning the pass fail can be found on this main page and students are expected to read all the information carefully. Make sure to familiarize yourself with this information before proceeding. Once a student selects a pass fail the decision cannot be reversed.
· To request the grade mode be changed to pass/fail for a section, click the appropriate radio button in the pass/fail request column.
· Read the message about acknowledging your understanding of the pass/fail policy. Students select that they have read the policy and submit.
· Click Submit.
An email will be sent to your Advisor / Dean notifying them of your request. Students will also be able to see that their class has been updated to pass fail in MyAccess (Student Detail schedule). The Grade Mode is “Main Campus (Pass/Fail)”.
Withdrawing from a Class
Once the add drop period has passed, students should consult with their advisor if they intend to withdraw. View the withdrawal schedules.
Undergraduates and SCS
- Log into MyAccess.
- Click on the “Students” tab.
- Under “Registration” click on the “Withdraw from Class” link.
- Check the box to select the course from which you wish to withdraw*.
- Provide a reason for the withdrawal request.
- Indicate if you are on academic probation.
- Select “Submit” to process your request**.
*Financial Holds: Students who have a financial hold will not be able to access the withdraw workflow. In order to withdraw from a class, those students may complete an add drop form and contact their advisor for assistance.
**Withdrawal Approvals: Your advisor will review your request and after the withdrawal is processed, the student will receive an automated notification via email if the withdrawal request is approved.
GSAS and MSB Graduate Students
Graduate School and MSB Graduate students must complete an add drop form to withdraw from courses.
Training Videos and Documentation
- How to Register for Classes
- Searching the Schedule of Classes
- Identifying Holds on Your Account
- How to Prepare for Registration in MyAccess
- Who do I contact with questions about registration?
Your advisor can answer questions you have about registration. You may also contact the Registrar’s Office.
- How do I know I’m taking the right classes?
Students are encouraged to contact their advisor prior to registration with their course selections to ensure that the selection is in line with their academic progress. Many programs use MyDegree, an online advisement tool to provide course selection advice for students.
- How do I know what my schedule will be?
You can view your class schedule in MyAccess immediately after you complete your registration for the term.
- When does registration begin and end?
- What are my options if my desired section is closed?
If your desired section is closed and if the waitlist is offered for that section, you will be able to add yourself to the waitlist. If your desired section is closed and the waitlist is not offered for that section, you should choose an alternate section of that course.
- How do I get a full schedule?
Registration will allow students to register for their desired sections when the registration opens. If your chosen CRN is closed, you will be able to register for alternate sections to get a full schedule. Students should maximize their registration opportunity and prepare a list of alternate sections prior to their registration time.
- What is a CRN?
A CRN is a course reference number and is assigned by Banner when a course section is created.
- What should I do if I am unable to register due to restrictions on the course/section?
The best practice is to review the schedule of classes ahead of time in preparation for registration to determine restrictions, pre-requisites, co-requisites, and any special permission required for registration. Please seek guidance from your advisor if you wish to take a course which requires special permission or approval for registration.
- The section in which I am trying to register shows open seats but I am unable to register.
Please review course text for any additional information regarding reserved seats for that section.