Georgetown University is moving from Banner 8 to Banner 9. Ellucian, our Student Information System (SIS) software provider, is moving Banner to the eXtensible Ecosystem technology Platform to improve the user interface, increase flexibility, and provide additional functionality.
Why Banner 9
- The Banner 9 project supports the University’s Strategic Initiative to build a responsive infrastructure for a sustainable campus. The Banner 9 Upgrade is a campus wide initiative to complete the upgrade of our Banner environment from Banner 8x to Banner 9. It will deliver a fresh user experience, all-new tools, and significantly improved capabilities across Banner, driving new efficiencies so we can focus on our students’ success.
- Banner 9 includes a fresh, new user interface with improved tools and capabilities. The new user interface provides improved accessibility for all users. Banner 9 also eliminates the need for a Java applet for end users, drastically expanding the browsers and platforms that can now access the software. You can now use your mobile device or tablet to access Banner information.
What is Banner 9?
Banner 9 is a major upgrade to the Banner Student System. It provides a completely new and up-to-date look and feel and is also easily compatible with all mobile devices! Some of its many new advantages include:
- Eliminates users’ browser compatibility problems
- Ends dependency on Internet Explorer and allow for full browser support (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, MS Edge)
- Greatly simplifies the upgrade process for administrators
- Positions Georgetown for cloud adoption if we choose this option at a later date
What’s new in Banner Admin and Banner Self-Service?
- App Navigator welcome screen offers a “google like” experience for navigating throughout Banner Admin pages, offering four ways to search.
- Reorganization of the Banner Self-Service Administrative menu
- Advising Student Profile now consolidates a student’s profile, education, and career path on a single page.
- Banner Registration has been updated with intuitive registration tools and a mobile-friendly design to make it easier than ever for students, advisors, and administrators to use.
- Faculty Grade Entry now offers faculty members mobile capability for entering assignment grades and posting midterm, final, and incomplete grades. The application can then automatically compute a final grade. To make things even easier, faculty members can also import grades directly from their existing spreadsheets or their learning management system.
The Prep-Phase for the Banner 9 deployment went live on July 26, 2018. This phase includes:
- New Administrative Pages URL
- Improved usability for administrative users
- Enhanced search capability
- Reorganization of the Banner Administrative menu
- More modern look and feel
Banner 9 Info Sessions were held in early Fall 2018. Additional workshops to be announced as demand requires.
Banner 9 training opportunities with your area leads will be announced by late fall.
Banner 9 testing is ongoing throughout the two year project.
Banner 9 Timeline
Phase 1 JULY 2018
Remove "Top 5" Customizations
- MBA Bidding
- Law Blind Grading
Resolve the 1,800 Banner 8 Custom Objects
Phase 2 JULY 2019
Techincal Migration to Banner 9 SaaS
Mitigate Remaining Customizations
Transition from MyAccess to Banner Self-Service
Benefits of Banner Self-Service
Advising Student Profile consolidates a student’s profile, education, and career path on a single page. And it’s newly accessible to advisors and students, allowing for truly personalized advice that helps students make better academic decisions.
Student Self-Service includes Class Roster and View Grades functionalities:
- Class Roster lets faculty members review their students’ academic profiles and schedules, communicate with students over email, print class rosters, and more.
- View Grades lets faculty members, students, and their advisors view a student’s academic progress.
Faculty Grade Entry offers faculty members mobile capability for entering assignment grades and posting midterm, final, and incomplete grades. The application can then automatically compute a final grade. To make things even easier, faculty members can also import grades directly from their existing spreadsheets or their learning management system.
Banner® Registration updated with intuitive registration tools and a mobile-friendly design to make it easier than ever for students, advisors, and administrators to use. And it now includes seamless integration with Ellucian Degree Works™, advisor access, and registration planning via Student Education Planner. These new features:
- Give advisors the tools they need to help students plan for success
- Let the registrar’s office create demand-analysis reports so they can anticipate course demand;
- Deliver global capabilities that allow all Banner Student customers to plan for and track program completion.
Please see ADMIN PAGES for additonal training and documentation.
When are we upgrading to Banner 9?
This upgrade will be done in 3 phases. Phase one will be from May 2018 to January 26, 2019. During this phase we will be upgrading all Banner forms to Banner 9 and re-organizing the Banner Self-Service Admin menus. Phase two will take place from July 2019 2018 until January 2019. Phase 3 will be from July 2020 to December 2020.
Why are we upgrading to Banner 9?
All support for Banner 8 will be terminated as of January 2019. In addition, the problems with browser compatibility have become increasingly difficult and have required us to take action. By upgrading to Banner 9 we will eliminate these issues.
How many users will be affected by this upgrade?
Overall, there are approximately 400 staff and faculty users of Banner. There are several thousand student users.
Will there be training on Banner 9?
Yes. The different offices will be offering area specific training for the different functional areas across campus. You will be notified when your area will be having training.
Will I use the same credentials to log into Banner 9?
Yes, you will use your netID and netID password.
Who do I call with questions about Banner 9 prior to go-live?
Speak with your team/area leads about questions concerning your business processes. Send your general questions to UnivRegistrarESP@georgetown.edu
What is the preferred browser for using Banner 9?
Banner 9 can be used with all browsers.
Can users change the color scheme on their Banner pages?
Ellucian (Banner’s parent company) has stated the following as of 8/16/17:
“Individual users cannot choose a personal color in the Banner 9 applications at this time. Personal color (theme) choices is on the backlog, but not yet scheduled for a particular release.”
How can I see what the keyboard shortcut is for a given function?
If you hover over the function (e.g. Go) Banner will display the shortcut keys to use for that function.
Where can I find the list of “related forms” that was under “Options” on the menu bar in Banner 8?
You can find this list by clicking on “Related” in Banner 9.
How do I resize a page in Banner 9?
You can use the CTL+ to increase the size and CTL- to decrease the size.
Does the city get auto-populated from the zip code?
Yes. If enter the zip code, then click enter, the city and state will be auto-populated.
Can you have two Banner 9 pages open at same time?
No. Two pages cannot be open at same time. You could come close to same experience by opening a second Banner 9 session. The navigation between two pages is made simpler by the Application Navigator recently visited pages feature.